Sunday, January 14, 2007

Senders



Go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.
Matthew 28:19-20

For the past few days we have been telling people about our plans to move to Hungary and then on to Ukraine for long term missionary work. The response has been incredibly positive. Not once has anyone told us that it's a bad idea or acted like we were crazy for wanting to leave the warm coastal weather for sub zero climates. From friends and family to strangers, everyone has been so supportive.

Through it all, my parents have been the most supportive and encouraging. I can't say how much of a blessing they have been to us over the years and especially now. While we are being obedient to the Great Commission as "goers", they are serving as "senders". We couldn't be more thankful and proud of their response to our needs as we begin our journey. I know that they are making a huge sacrifice to send us, not just financially, but emotionally. Their only child, daughter-in-law, and two grandchildren will literally be on the other side of the world. We can’t just jump in the car anymore and go see them. They know this and are still willing to help us answer God’s call.

As we have shared with them about how our hearts break for the orphans of Ukraine, their own hearts have been touched. In fact, they are so moved by this that they are willing to send their only son to bring Hope to these children. That reminds me of another Father who was willing to send His Son far from home so that others might be saved.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

We’d like to thank everyone for their prayers and support that are helping to make all of this possible. And Mom and Dad, if you’re reading this, thank you for all that you have done and the life that you have given me. Most importantly, thank you for sharing the love of Christ with me as a child.


3 comments:

Betsy1776 said...

I love this picture of you and Rich, Greg! Even though we've never met, I feel like I know you and your family from listening to your Mom and Dad talk about you while we visited them in 2005. I knew right away that your family was the center of their world. I wish you good luck in your new work and will keep your mission in my prayers. Your cousin in Michigan, Diane

Greg and Edna Silva said...

Thanks Diane. It's nice to know that we have so many people out there praying for us. We will try to keep everyone posted as we travel.
-Greg

Lianne said...

Dear Greg
I am so happy for you and your family that you are able to follow your heart and God's calling. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Please have a safe trip and write (or e-mail) when you can. I love all of the pictures you have posted. I will have to create a special section in my scrapbook of your pictures and travels.
With all my love,
your cousin
Lianne