Thursday, October 23, 2008

Feed My Sheep

In the Gospel of John, Jesus asks Peter three times if he loves him. When Peter affirms that he does in fact love the Lord Jesus each time he is asked, he receives this instruction. First, "Feed my lambs." Second, "Take care of my sheep." And finally, "Feed my sheep."

One of the ways pastors are to feed the sheep is with sound Biblical truth. The problem is that those people whom the Lord has entrusted to these pastors don't always want to hear the truth. At least not all of the truth. It is human nature to want to hear things that are pleasing to us and that make us feel good. Unfortunately it is all too easy for a pastor to fall into the trap of trying to please the sheep rather than feed them by telling them what they want to hear rather than what they need to hear.

I freely admit that I would like nothing more than to please everybody and have them walk away feeling good about themselves. Would I really be "feeding the sheep" if I skipped over all those disturbing parts of the Bible about sin and the narrow road to salvation? If I love Jesus, as Peter claimed, I have to tell people what they need to hear. I can do this in the most loving way possible, but some will likely still be offended. (Some of you know how difficult this can sometimes be in Ukraine.) I've seen and heard too many pastors who, out of fear of offending, are not feeding their sheep. They make ambiguous statements and shy away from controversial issues leaving people to come to their own conclusions right or wrong. Granted, some issues are complex and need careful consideration, but some positions can be clearly stated using sound Bible teaching.

I've been reading some of Randy Alcorn's posts lately and I admire his willingness to boldly "feed the sheep" according to his convictions and Biblical insights. Please take the time to read his latest post and his impassioned plea to view life as God does.

I'm not Voting for a Man, I'm Voting for Generations of Children and their Right to Live

No comments: